Saturday, July 30, 2011

Summer Yummers!






There is nothing better in the summer time than fresh produce. The vegetable choices are at their peak. Whether you harvest from your own backyard, find at a farmer's market, or swing through the produce aisle, summer veggies are a quick go to for a meal. One of the easiest and yummiest way I cook up my garden finds is to saute them and serve over pasta. And of of the best things about this dish, you can easily make it your own. Rarely do I serve it the same way. Use whatever you have on hand! Below, is what I happened to have on this particular day.
Angel Hair with Summer Veggie Saute
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
dash red pepper flakes (if you like a little kick)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 meduim zuchinni, chopped
1 medium squash, chopped
1 cup diced tomato (can also substitue with a can)
1 cup baby spinach
Angel hair, cooked according to package directions
How to:
Over medium heat, saute the garlic and red pepper flakes. There are few things as good as fresh garlic cooking up!
Next, add in the onion and saute a few minutes. The squash and zuchinni are next in the pan. Allow the veggies to cook and soften a bit before adding in the tomatoes. Cook for another minute or two. Turn off the heat and fold in the spinach. The heat of the vegetables will help wilt the greens.
Now that the vegetables are finished, serve them over the pasta. On this particular night, I had some shrimp I needed to use. So, I seared them with a little lemon juice, butter and cajun seasonining.
This dish is very simple and good. I have even served it as a side. Like I said above, this is really just a method. Throw in any vegetable you enjoy! I love cooking with eggplant and mushrooms.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment