Friday, February 24, 2012

Restaurant Review: Five Guys Burgers and Fries

The other day my husband had a day off from work, so we hit the town with the two littles to run a few errands. I knew if I timed it just right, we would be able to eat lunch out.  :)

Several monts ago, Five Guys Burgers and Fries came to the metro area, and more recently one opened up in Norman at 24th and Robinson across from the Super Target.  I figured this was a good time to go try it out.  My husband was not one to object.  He's what I like to call a "burger conessiour".  His family owned and operated a couple of burger joints when he was young.  Maybe you know of Cecil's Burger Palace.  He learned the art of burger making (and enjoying) from his late father. 


The inside was nicely decorated with red and white.  The kitchen is open.  We enjoyed seeing the food being prepared. You could definitely tell it was a new establishment. You have to stand in line to place your order.  The line was sectioned off by giant bags of potatoes.  Dual purpose. Ha! 


The menu is simple.  Burger.  Hot Dog.  Grilled Cheese.  Fries.  Toppings.  And drinks.  The burgers come in two sizes, regular and little.  The choices of toppings are unlimited, so you can choose as many (or as few) as you want. 

My husband ordered a regular burger with mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickles, grilled onions and mustard.  I had the little bacon cheeseburger with mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickles, grilled onions, and grilled mushrooms.  We ordered a grilled cheese for the boys to split.  We also shared a large order of fries.  The boys had waters.  My husband and I had pops.  (I know, I'm "off" Dr. Pepper.  But you can't have a burger and fries without soda.) ;)


We were able to find a table and sit down right at noon on a weekday.  And then the rush hit.  Had we arrived 10 minutes later, we would have had trouble finding a table for the four of us.  The food came out quickly, and we began to dig in. 

The food was good.  It definitely ranked higher than a fast food burger and burgers you would find at a national chain.  My husband enjoyed the food as much as the environment.  He said it felt and tasted like his childhood memories.  Which says a lot. 

One down side of our visit was that it was a little more costly than we expected.  For the food mentioned above, our bill was just under $25.  That may not sound like a lot to most, but for our frugal little family it was. 

Will we return?  Possibly.  The only hinderance for us would be the price tag.  The atmosphere was lively.  The staff was very friendly.  If you love burgers and fries, Five Guys is definitely worth your time to check out.



(My choice for a good, cheap burger is still McNellie's $3 burger night.)

No comments:

Post a Comment